Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One Step Forward

and several back is the way it seems to be going at the moment. Been awhile since anything's been added sewing or otherwise. Sew here goes:

Top #10
is now complete. Need backing to be figured out and quilting to be decided on. This is way different than any top I've done before, but I love the end result.

Next up:

Top #11

has been in the making for more years than I care to admit! This was started before I knew enough about quilting to know I was tackling a pattern way beyond my capabilities at the time. Back then I got all excited about the idea of making half square triangles by sewing two long strips of fabric together on both edges and then cutting the triangles by flipping the fabric over and back with each cut. Works great except for one glaring fact: you end up with cut edges on the diagonal/stretchiest part of the fabric and then have to stitch those diagonals together without stretching them. The 12.5" unfinished quarter square triangle blocks are complete ~ all 18 of them. All but five of the pinwheel units centering the sawtooth star blocks are done as well as three completed sawtooth star blocks . I'm thinking these blocks will have to be starched like crazy to prevent as much stretching as possible ~ in the hopes that the blocks are not all stretched out of shape during the pressing process. W.i.s.h. m.e. g.o.o.d. l.u.c.k! Graduation is June 2. Ignorance truly is bliss!

Other stitches:


worked on while we were traveling during March. One more pattern and the toe need completion on the first sock ~ second one not started. First glove needs first finger and thumb completion ~ not sure I'm liking the stripe going on in that glove. Thinking I'd prefer a solid color. The turquoise will someday be a sweater if I live long enough ~ it's an easy knit but rather boring and I don't do good with boring! 

Other than that ~ save it for another day.

Still
In Stitches




3 comments:

  1. Hey..good to have you back. Not surprised that you have lots of new accomplishments since the last post. GLOVES?? seriously? Wheww, that is progress. Seems you did fine on the half square triangles. Looks good as does the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No blocks together yet ~ that's what's got me worried!

      Delete
  2. How did I miss this post? Must have been travelling I guess. Looks like you've been busy -- I want to see that top one all laid out!

    ReplyDelete